Every Day Ideas
Living zero-waste ends up being a lot more than just not buying any plastic or disposable items. As you become more aware of the wasteful habits around you, you'll probably end up living a more sustainable life in general: walking over driving, turning off your lights, being mindful about water consumption, etc. All of these actions boil down to wanting to preserve resources and have as little negative impact on the environment as possible.
Like anything, it takes baby steps and daily mindset changes to live better for yourself and for the planet. Some ideas that you can implement right now to live more environmentally friendly, or zero-waste:
- Read our blog about how to go zero-waste for $0!
- Don't take out the trash for two weeks, so you can do a self-audit
- Choose reusable packaging over disposables (i.e. jars, cans, etc.)
- Participate in Meatless Mondays, or for really dedicated people, Go Vegan!
- Don't buy (and say no to) single-use plastic
- Carpool to work, instead of driving alone
- Google your municipality's recycling rules (yep, each city is different)
- Keep GOOS paper around (good on one side)
- Buy second hand from consignment shops, thrift stores, and trading with your friends
- Don't keep the water running the whole time you are brushing your teeth
- Meal prep on Sundays so you don't have to buy food & it's unnecessary packaging
- Turn off the lights when you leave your house, and even better unplug everything too!
- Set yourself up for success: set up the right systems to be successful. If you don't keep your gym shoes easily accessible, will you ever go? Same logic goes for making green choices!
Have any more questions? Email our founder Erin, and she'll be happy to help you out!